The Osceola County Courthouse is the oldest Courthouse in the State of Florida that is still being used as a Courthouse. In August of 1888, Courthouse design plans were accepted and adopted. Construction of the building began in July of 1889. The Courthouse was completed by May of that same year. The final cost for construction of the Courthouse and Jail came to $25,031.
The Historic County Courthouse has been "home" to numerous Judges, eight Clerks of Circuit Court, Probation & Parole, County Commissioners, the Sheriff and hundreds of employees. All types of cases, from chicken thievery and the selling of moonshine, to high profile murder cases have been heard in the Historic Courthouse building. On August 16, 1977, the Osceola County Courthouse was added to the Historic Register.