In November of 2018, the podcast Serial released its critically acclaimed third season. The aim: to shine a light on the American judicial system, highlighting the benefits and detriments of how our system works. To accomplish this feat, the Serial team spent a year in Ohio at the Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court. Judge John Russo, who was the administrative and presiding judge during the time Serial was at the court, and Public Information Officer Darren Toms join Chief Judge Don Myers to talk about their experience with Serial and the importance of a transparent judicial system.
- 1:45 - Introduction
- 5:25 - Sarah Koenig and transparency in the Courts
- 13:45 - What was recording like?
- 26:10 - Community feedback and reactions to the podcast
- 33:50 - Serial in hindsight
- 40:49 - Why doing the podcast was the right move